Friday, March 16, 2007

Thank you Bruce Kulick.....


Good afternoon KISS family. Today as I sit here at my laptop, I think of all of you and my heart completely goes out to each one. These past few years have been tough on Zachary and my little family; but you guys have helped me cope with all the pain and heartache that has been dealt. Our thankfulness will never end and I want all of you to know that you're true heros to Zachary and I with the little things you have done...

Today, I would like to recognize a very important part of our family by giving thanks. All of you have known him throughout his musical career with bands like Grand Funk Railroad, KISS, vocalist Michael Bolton, Union, and his solo career. He is known as one of the most down to earth and humblest individuals I know and it is an honor and blessing to be acquainted with this man as a friend and member of our family.

It was a shock when Bruce Kulick (formally lead guitarist of KISS) called my cell phone for the first time months ago. My numbers were obtained by him through a friend of ours, Barry Carr, with my permission. Barry told me Bruce would definitely call and to wait for the contact. When Bruce had the time, he did call and spoke with me at first. Unfortunately, Zachary wasn't home from school when Bruce wanted to chat; so I was asked if he could call him back around 3:30 pm. I of course, complied and stated I was looking forward to him speaking to Zachary. To make a long story short, Bruce did call back and spoke with Zachary in which seemed a while. Zachary was so excited and recognized Bruce immediately!!! They spoke of many things involving music and KISS. When I received the phone back from Zachary, Bruce and I spoke of correspondence so he can remain posted on Zachary's condition and I have been writing ever since.

This past February, some friends and I loaded up with Zachary to travel to Myrtle Beach, SC for the KISS Expo and to visit the coffeehouse. The main objective besides going to the Expo was to have Zachary meet Bruce. Before we knew it, the big day came and Zachary was prepared to meet his hero in the flesh. I think he must have had a radar on his head because he saw Bruce on the second floor immediately!! What did he do?? He called to Bruce; but wasn't heard. The next attempt on getting attention was to climb the stairs to the second floor and meet him face to face; in which he immediately did. At first, Bruce was preoccupied, but when he became available the magic began. His first question to Zachary was, "Are you Zachary?" and that's how their one on one conversation began. I was amazed, excited, and happy for Zachary!! I wanted to cry. They spoke for what seemed a while and Bruce signed numerous items for Zachary to bring home, including Zachary's personal guitar; in which brought a tear to my eye when I took the picture. It was an amazing and memorable moment in Zachary's life. The highlight of the Expo was when Zachary got up on stage and sang "Heaven's On Fire" and dedicated his performance to Bruce. Yes, Bruce heard and was amazed he knew every part of the song so well in detail. By the end of the contest, Zachary walked home with the grand prize...a KISS Alive II gold record framed and wanted Bruce to sign it. He got his wish!!

After the Expo ended, we attended the Hard Rock for dinner and a friend's birthday party. Zachary immediately spotted Bruce, in which he now calls Uncle Bruce, in the gift shop at the top of the stairs. We had the honor of tagging along with him there for a while. That night, I saw another side of this wonderful and humble man. What did he do you ask?? He took an acoustic guitar off the wall in the gift shop in the Hard Rock and began to strum the cords. Bruce then looked at Zachary and asked him what was the name of the song he sang at the expo earlier that day. Zachary replied, "Heaven's On Fire". Bruce replied, "Oh yeah" and began to play the song for Zachary and asked him to sing it once again and Zachary did. That was a rare moment for Zachary that I was happy to share with him and I could see Bruce more than a famous musician that night....I saw him as a kind, loving, and generous friend. I also fell witness to viewing the complete love and affection in Bruce's heart for Zachary that they now share.


So thank you, Bruce for the love, care and concern for Zachary during these past several months. Your love and generosity will never be forgotten and neither will your friendship. You are a true friend and an amazing person that we were grateful to finally meet and you will always be known to Zachary as his "Uncle Bruce" and to me as a brother. See you soon. We love you!!

No comments: